As a client, you’ll probably hear this often – “Have you cleared your cache?”. It can be a very vague and confusing question. What on earth is my ‘cache’? How do I ‘clear it? Well, wonder no more. I’m here with a quick guide as to what your cache is and how/when to clear it.
What is a ‘cache’ and what does it do?
Why do I need to clear it?
As a freelance web designer, I have to make regular updates to the files that comprise your site in order to push a change or new feature live. If I change a file that your browser has cached, it’s going to keep serving the old, cached version of the file and you won’t see the most recent changes. Clearing the Cache and Cookies in a browser helps fix these issues.
How do I clear my cache?
Below, I will explain how to clear out your cache on most modern desktop browsers.
- In the top right of the browser, click the 3 dots
- Click More Tools > Clear browsing data
- You can choose a time range in the first box that appears
- To clear everything, select ‘All Time’
- Next to ‘Cookies and other site data‘ and ‘Cached images and files‘ check the boxes.
- Finally, click Clear data – and you’re done!
- Click the menu button and choose ‘Preferences‘
- In the left panel, select ‘Privacy & Security‘
- Scroll down slightly to find ‘Cookies and Site Data‘
- With Cached Web Content check marked, click the ‘Clear‘ button
- And you’re done!
- On your Mac with Safari open, select ‘Safari‘ on the top left navigation bar
- Select ‘Preferences‘ and navigate to the ‘Privacy‘ tab
- Next, select ‘Manage Website Data…‘ > ‘Remove All’
- Finally, select the ‘Remove Now’ button and… you’re done!
- Select Tools (via the Gear Icon)> Safety >Delete browsing history…
- Make sure to uncheck Preserve Favorites website data and check both Temporary Internet Files and Cookies
- Finally, click Delete and wait for the confirmation at the bottom of the browser. Simple!
So there you have it, a easy to follow guide on how to clear your cache on all modern web browsers. If you have any more questions, feel free to get in touch, I’m always happy to help.
Until next time.
Web Design in Lincoln, Nottingham and Grantham.